The 2018 Steamfitters Apprenticeship Program will be taking applications during the following weeks: Monday, June 4, 2018 through Saturday, June 9 2018; Monday, June 11 through Saturday, June 16, 2018; Monday, June 18, 2018 through Saturday June 23, 2017. Weekday hours will be between the hours of 10:00AM to 5:00PM. Saturday hours will be between 9:00AM to 12:00PM. The applicant must appear in person at the Steamfitters Technology Center, 230 Wise Road, Harmony, PA 16037 to obtain and fill out an application. (Please allow 30 minutes to fill out application.)
CLICK HERE for the printable checklist as to what you will need to bring to our offices during the application process.
There is a $50.00 application fee which is payable at time of application. Please make your payment by CASH OR MONEY ORDER, (NO PERSONAL CHECKS). The money order is to be payable to STEAMFITTERS J.A.T.C.
When you appear at the Technology Center to obtain an application, the staff will direct you to specific areas where you will fill out your application. All applications must be completed at the Technology Center. Upon completion of your application form, providing education transcripts, proof of valid PA drivers license and paying your application fee, you will be given a notice as to where to appear for your written examination. The written examination will be July 22 & 29, 2018. You will be assigned a test day when you fill out the application.
In Summary: Items that need to be submitted at the time of application:
- Official transcripts for high school or post high school or G.E.D. Certificate. Your transcripts can be mailed in advance to The Steamfitters Technology Center, 230 Wise Road, Harmony, PA. 16037. G.E.D.'s must show marks of testing. (If you are going to have your transcripts mailed directly to the Technology Center they MUST be here BEFORE you can fill out an application, so please be sure to request these from your school in advance so that they are here when you arrive.)
- The $50 application fee - in CASH or MONEY ORDER, (NO PERSONAL CHECKS). The money order is payable to Steamfitters J.A.T.C.
- Valid PA driver's license
- Military veterans - DD214
Please continue reading for more information about our apprenticeship program.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be a United States Citizen. Must live within the territorial jurisdiction of Steamfitters Local #449: the counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Clarion, Crawford, Erie, Forest, part of Greene, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Venango, Warren, part of Washington and the cities of Arnold and New Kensington in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.
- Must be 18 years of age at time of application.
- Must possess a high school diploma with transcripts or G.E.D. certificate.
- The applicant must be of good moral character and be physically able to perform the work of the trade.
- Applicants must have a valid PA driver's license and dependable transportation. (Bring license with you at time of application).
- Successfully complete a scheduled aptitude examination.
- Appear for an interview when notified.
- Submit and pass a test for substance abuse.
- Building Trades applicants MUST complete an 18 week daytime welding course without any compensation if accepted.
- Mechanical Service Applicants MUST complete an 8 week daytime HVACR course without any compensation if accepted.
- All applicants must abide by all the rules and regulations set by the Joint Apprentice Training Committee.
Apprenticeship Program Information
- Apprenticeship is 5 years long, with the first year considered probationary.
- Work will be done under the supervision of a journeyman for your on the job training.
- Pay is set at a percentage of the going Journeyman rate, with a 10% raise every year.
- Full fringe benefits are provided from the first day of work.
The Steamfitters offer two Apprenticeship Programs:
- Mechanical Equipment Service Program: Instruction covers the servicing of residential, commercial and industrial air conditioning and refrigeration systems, control system troubleshooting, Steam and Hydronic boiler system maintenance and servicing.
- Building Trades Apprentice Program: Instruction covers the installation of commercial and industrial process piping systems. Welding certification plays a big part in the education process in this program.
- Assemble, install and maintain pipes that carry water, steam, compressed air, gases and fluids which are needed for manufacturing, heating and cooling.
- Work is done on high and low pressure pipes, power stations, refrigeration systems and environmental controls.
- Reading of blueprints to determine the layout of piping, valves, fixtures and controls.
- Welding of pipes from 1/16" to 10" made of materials that include cast iron, wrought iron, steel, aluminum, brass, plastic, glass and other special alloys.
- Tools used include reamers, drills, gas torches, welding equipment, pipe cutters, benders and threaders.
- Working conditions are both inside and outside in all types of weather. Workers can be exposed to heat, cold, fumes, chemical and toxic odors. The working activities are both active and strenuous which may include much walking, prolonged standing, reaching and lifting, and having to be in cramped or otherwise uncomfortable positions.
- Follow detailed instructions of a vast range of skills and be able to solve mathematical problems accurately.